Maternity clothing is expensive, but it is
possible to save money, live debt free, and still get the items you need. Pregnancy
is an exciting time, but don’t be fooled into thinking you need every item when
First, consider these tips to save money on pregnancy apparel from moms who have “been there”.
1. Ask your friends or family if they have
maternity clothing you can borrow. If your sister or co-worker is close to
the same size as you, this option could save you lots of money.
2. Raid your hubby’s closet. You can borrow things from your husband or significant other like sweatshirts and flannel shirts to wear around the house.
3. Buy classic pieces that can last you through more than one pregnancy. Resist anything really “trendy”. Pick things that will still be in style in a few years, especially if you are planning to have more than one baby.
4. Decide whether you really need maternity underwear. Personally, I could always wear my “regular” underwear underneath my stomach while pregnant, but you have to decide if this would be comfortable for you. One thing you do need is a few good pregnancy/nursing bras.
5. Shop at yard sales and consignment stores. You can often find a lot of basic pieces of clothing for a lot less than retail.
Here is a list of the basic maternity clothing items you will need for
When it comes to sizing, most stores say to buy the size you wore pre-pregnancy. Most of all be sure to buy or borrow clothing that makes you feel attractive and comfortable throughout your entire pregnancy.